Mold is one of the most dreaded household discoveries, with horror stories on the news about black mold and health concerns. Mold loves damp areas, like under the sink, in wet wood and in shower grout. Removing mold from grout can be quite a task, requiring personal protective gear and a lot of elbow grease. If you want to get rid of mould in your shower for good make sure you do the job right the first time.
Causes of Mold Growth on Grout
Mildew will grow anywhere damp or wet, making an area like the shower a perfect home. Unfortunately, because the shower area is constantly exposed to moisture, keeping mould at bay requires prevention and staying on top of the problem. In addition to the moisture from the shower head, shower grout can also begin growing mould if the bathroom itself has a high humidity. Improper ventilation is a leading cause of mold growth. To prevent problems from occurring in the bathroom, try ventilating the room after your morning shower by opening the window. This should reduce the humidity in the room, allow the shower to dry quickly and keep mold at bay.
How to Remove Mold From Grout
Protective Gear for the Removal Process
Removing black mould works just like any other type. It’s recommended that you wear gloves and a mask, at minimum. If you’re dealing with a larger area or suspect you’re removing black mold from grout, use goggles and a N-95 respirator. These precautions are recommended by the EPA and will protect you from inhaling spores.
Step 1: To start removing the mildew, wipe off any dampness in the area.
Step 2: If the mold seems to be located in only one area, try to determine the cause. Is the shower head or faucet leaking, causing continuous exposure to water? If so, fix the leak before continuing.
Step 3: Once the area has been completely dried, scrub the entire area with detergent and a damp cloth. Every so often dry off the area and check how you’re doing.
Step 4: When you’re not making any more progress with the damp cloth switch to an old toothbrush. This will allow you to get into the small areas of the grout and completely loosen and clear off the mold.
Step 5: When all signs of visible mold are removed dry the area one last time. The next step is cleaning and disinfecting the shower grout.
How to Clean and Disinfect the Affected Area
Cleaning and disinfecting the grout is easier than removing the mould. There are a couple of steps to do this.
Step 1: The first way is to mix 1/2 cup baking soda with one gallon of water and spray this on the grout.
Step 2: You can even scrub this into the grout to help return a white color. Because baking soda won’t harm or discolor tile it makes a great choice for cleaning grout.
Step 3: If there are mildew spots left on the grout after this step you may need to apply a bleach solution.
Step 4: Mix one part bleach to five parts cool water in a spray bottle and apply to discolored areas.
Step 5: Allow the bleach to remain on the spots for 15 minutes and leave the room well ventilated. After the time has passed scrub the area again and rinse.
If you don’t have much problem with spots and stains in the first place you can even skip the baking soda step. Simply make your bleach solution and spray the grout in the entire affected area and leave for at least 15 minutes. This gives the bleach time to work.
[easyazon_infoblock align=”right” identifier=”B00AU7GYXA” locale=”US” tag=”blackmoldcontrol-20″]Preventing mildew from invading your home is simpler than it seems. Because mildew loves moist or damp areas, make sure rooms like the laundry room, kitchen and bathrooms are well ventilated. This allows showers to dry properly after use and discourages mold growth. Dehumidifiers can also be helpful in smaller rooms like the bathroom that have a high humidity level. Another big cause of mould is leaky plumbing. Periodically check for leaking pipes, faucets and shower heads to make sure you aren’t allowing a mold problem to grow unnoticed.
Tools and Protective Gear
The tools you’ll need to remove mold from grout include: spray bottle, bleach, baking soda, scrub brush, old toothbrush, old wash cloth and detergent. Protective gear is also recommended, especially if you’re working with a large amount of mildew or a particularly dangerous form. Gloves, goggles, masks and a mold respirator are recommended by the EPA whenever you’re cleaning up mould, which poses many health hazards when inhaled.
There are many warnings associated with mold removal. First, always wear protective gear to prevent the inhalation of spores. Mold can cause many health conditions and breathing in even a small amount can be harmful. The area should be properly ventilated while you’re working to prevent cleaning fumes from overwhelming you as well. If the affected area is large or seems like too tough a job, don’t be afraid to call for professionals. Because of the dangers of mold removal it’s sometimes best to allow professionals to do the job. Lastly, use caution with the cleaning supplies you use to disinfect the area. Remember to never mix ammonia and bleach, which will create a poisonous gas called chlorine gas.