Black mold is something that can invoke fear in any homeowner. Mold is, however, a common problem that comes with dampness or moisture, making it a very common sight in bathrooms and under sinks. Depending on the size of the problem, you can get rid of mold under the sink by yourself with some disinfectant and masks. A mold issue too large will probably require professionals though, as the health risk posed will be greater.
Causes of Mold Growth Under a Sink
Mould occurs naturally outdoors, although it only becomes a problem inside when there is an issue with moisture, such as water leaks or high humidity. Because mould reproduces through spores, it’s important to address any moisture problem as soon as possible. The US EPA recommends drying all damp and wet materials in your home within 24 to 48 hours after a spill or leak occurs. Within this short time frame most mould won’t grow. If you’ve noticed a leaky sink in your kitchen or bathroom long after the issue started, most likely the mold has had enough time to establish itself. You’ll need to disinfect everything in the affected area, dry all surfaces completely and fix the leak to prevent mold from returning.
If you find mold under a sink and there is no leak, chances are the room has high humidity. Humidity between 30 and 50% is ideal indoors. If you aren’t sure if humidity is the problem, purchase a humidity-meter from a hardware store. These devices can be as little as $10 and are a good aid to make sure your home is protected from mould damage.
How to Remove Black Mold Under a Sink
Remember, health dangers from mildew come from inhalation of the spores. If you take care to avoid breathing in the spores and remove the mold completely from your home you’ll be in no danger.
Step 1: The first step to removing mold from under a sink is to identify the cause. The problem may be poor ventilation, a leaking pipe or high humidity; by identifying and fixing the problem first you’ll make sure the mould doesn’t return.
Step 2: Next, dry all wet or damp items in the area properly. Mold will grow on any damp item, including grooming items and the cabinet walls. Remove anything stored in the cabinet and discard anything that can’t be dried within the 48 hour time period.
Step 3: Simply scrub off mold with detergent and water and allow the area to dry completely.
Step 4: Next, clean everything thoroughly. Mix 1/2 cup of bleach to one gallon of water to create a simple and effective disinfectant. Spray or apply the solution to everything that has come in contact with mold and allow the disinfectant to dry on the surface instead of wiping it off. Ventilate the area well during this process and leave the area to avoid inhaling fumes.
Special attention should be taken to properly clean and disinfect the entire area after the problem has been fixed and everything is removed. Non-porous surfaces like glass, metal, solid wood and hard plastics can be cleaned easily.
Tools and Protective Gear
[easyazon_infoblock align=”right” identifier=”B016TDIVDO” locale=”US” tag=”blackmoldcontrol-20″]Getting rid of mold requires little more than a few simple tools. Plastic sheets, duct tape, disposable cloth, warm water and disinfectant are usually necessary, as well as water spray bottle and protective gloves. You may also want an exhaust fan to clear out excess moisture in the area, a flashlight to check for leaks and a dehumidifier to lower the humidity in the room. A respiratory mask is also highly recommended to prevent the inhalation of mold spores that can cause serious health problems.
Preventing mold from invading your home is fairly straightforward. First, make sure the humidity level in your entire home is at least below 60%. Always check bathroom and kitchen areas for leaks and excess moisture, which invite mould and allow it to reproduce. Whenever a problem is noticed clean it as soon as possible to prevent a much larger contamination.
No matter what type of mold you’re dealing with, avoid inhaling spores while cleaning and disinfecting the sink in the kitchen or bathroom. The best way to do this is to wear a [easyazon_link identifier=”B0002YKBV2″ locale=”US” tag=”blackmoldcontrol-20″]protective mask[/easyazon_link] over your mouth and nose and avoid stirring up the affected area more than necessary, which sends the spores into the air. Also, never mix bleach and ammonia when disinfecting mold because they can product a toxic gas. We hope you get rid of black mold under the sink in your home.